Saturday, November 6, 2010

Candy's dandy, but liquor stores better

When candy was on sale after last Christmas, I bought some and vacuum packaged it.  After Valentine's Day, I did the same.

This week, DH and I performed a taste test of the aforementioned candy...all in the name of science, don'tcha know.

The results were rather disappointing.

Here is what we found:

Licorice, black:  good, but the flavor wasn't as immediate/strong.
Nougat mints:  not much difference, but not as intense
Hershey's Kisses:  grainy, not as chocolatey
Baby Ruths:  less intense
Butterfinger:  texture got chewier, lost some flavor
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups:  good flavor, but not as strong as fresh
M&Ms, plain:  lost some flavor

All in all, stored candy was a disappointment, which was unfortunate not because I stored a lot [I didn't] but because it means that storing candy - well, at least vacuum packaging it - won't be as worthwhile as I thought.

DH was pleased to be of help, however, and inquired after the first round of testing as to whether or not there were any more 'test materials' of which to partake....