Thursday, October 28, 2010

What if you don't like the food you've put by for emergencies?

Found on a survival forum: "I recently started rotating some stock and pulling down some of my stored stuff to use it and replace it. Dehydrated milk comes to mind. Here is the thing, I don't really care for this stuff. I realize it should be part of my preps, but the issue is we don't use it and I know you need to." 

Well, first of all, the person who posted this is doing the right thing rotating through what's in the pantry/preps.  This is all goodness.  The poster is to be commended for that.  However,"we don't use it and I know you need to" reveals two problems (and by pointing these out, I by no means mean to belittle the poster because these are very common problems and in the past I've been just as guilty of them as the next person):  first, that the person posting didn't stock what s/he eats.  This is a big and very common mistake, one of the biggest you can make in stocking up!  I only recently got rid of some very old stuff I 'thought' I'd use and can speak from the amen! corner on that one.  Second, the poster doesn't realize that dried milk isn't just for drinking.  If it was, I certainly wouldn't keep any on hand; not only do I not drink milk, but the stuff tastes like crap, IMNSHO.

Check out the recipe for Cornell bread; it's full of...dried milk.  Back during WWII, meat rationing required some alternative means of getting protein into people, and the Cornell recipe was created with that in mind.  The fact that it was tasty was it's main selling point, but it's also very nutritious.  Having some dried milk on hand means I can whip up a batch if I want, although my tastes go more to sourdough and whole grains these days.

Never, ever assume that someone else's list of what to stock up on is the be-all and end-all and exactly right for you.  Anybody else's list should be a guideline, a beginning point from which your unique storage plan takes off.  Your food storage should reflect your tastes, and should be pretty much what you already eat with addenda to cover any nutritional deficiencies plus comfort foods and a few treats you like.  Yes, you can get creative and learn to make dish X from cuisine Y and find that you really like it and stock up on the ingredients, but don't do it without trying it first